Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Coffeehouse Sheherazade, A Novella in Installments: Part 1

Art and writing languish when kept in the dark--whether the dark is a closet, a binder, a desk drawer, or a computer file. John and I were having this conversation with some friends just the other night. For me, the worst thing about bringing art home after an exhibition, isn't the fact that it didn't sell, but the fact that it is going back in the dark, back to a place where I almost want to say it isn't "art" any longer, because the encounter, the potential for it to become part of a real engagement, is gone. If there is no one there to experience it, is the finished work of art still a work of art?

With that question and those thoughts in mind, I decided last night that I would share some writing on this blog that would otherwise continue to hang out bound between the covers of my official dissertation copy with no where to go. Instead of waiting until (if) I find a publisher, why not share now, I thought. And why not do it in installments--a tradition I happen to like quite a bit.

So here is the first installment of The Coffeehouse Sheherazade. It's an experimental, philosophical novella that was part of my "experimental" and "non-traditional" doctoral dissertation. So, in an effort to bring words back to light/life, I hope you'll become part of the process, by clicking on the link, reading, and after that following along!

http://lorianneparker.com/images/Coffeehouse_Sheherazade_Installment_1.pdf

2 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw "The Coffeehouse Sheherazade," I thought of the inlaid tabletops of Algiers and all the stories there. Great minds, it seems. It's a pleasure to read your words again, and I look forward to the next installments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dawn! Thanks for reading ... you know this is the Coffeehouse Algiers renamed, but I am sure you already figured that one out! ;) And parts of this were written way back when in Cambridge. Bits and pieces on different days.

    Wouldn't it be nice if we could meet up there this weekend for some baklava and Turkish coffee? :)

    ReplyDelete